My name is Madeline. Metropolitan labrador extraordinaire. I live in the hip Dupont/Logan neighborhood in Washington DC. I was adopted about a year ago and I've been loving life ever since. I hope you enjoy reading about life from my perspective.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Two Very Important Things

Hello Dear Readers,
There are two very important things I must report.

#1 -- its my birthday! Not officially because my real birthdate is unknown. But today is the date two years ago that Miri and Tom adopted me so they made it my birthday. Please shower me with gifts and treats!

#2 -- We found out more about my breed mixture! There is a company called Metamorphix that does DNA testing and research. They have a new test called the Canine Breed Heritage Test. Miri ordered one and Tom and Miri got a cheek swab and sent it into the company. Well, the results came back yesterday! Guess what I have in my "breed mix"? Chow Chow and POODLE! The chow chow explains the striped/spotted tongue of mine and it also explains some of my personality traits. I'm not sure how I feel about the Poodle. Maybe my snout is kind of poodle-like? Also some of the standard poodles have a similar body type to mine. But the WEIRD thing was that my sample did not reveal ANY LABRADOR DNA!

Well, we all felt that this was impossible so we called the company! (Miri called but I picked up the other phone and listened in). They said that the labrador DNA samples that they are able to detect are the American Kennel Club Standard for Labrador which is more of the show breed version -- also called "English Labrador" -- as opposed to the American Field Hound Labrador which is more of what they think I might be. They don't have the DNA strains for that type just yet. They said in 6-12 months their test will have more certified breeds to include the other labrador stains and we will be contacted for a re-test.

If you didnt know there was a difference in types of labradors, I'm here to tell you all about it.

The English Labrador has a BIG head and wide body and also shorter legs. They are also more "mellow" and easy going. Field dogs tend to have a lighter body and longer legs. Their coats aren't as thick and their tails tend to be thinner. The field bred Labrador's head is generally not as wide as a show bred Lab and the muzzle tends to be longer. Personally, I think the field lab is more attractive but maybe I'm biased?

I read a bit more about the Chow Chow and I'll share with you a snippet that I think describes me pretty well:



The Chow Chow is usually well-mannered, but can be willful and protective. Bossy, serious and very independent. They are self-willed to the point of obstinacy. Often a one-person dog, very loyal to his family, though he may act reserved, even with them. If strangers push themselves on this dog, he may become aggressive. This very dominant breed requires a dominant owner. The owner of this breed of dog should be a calm person who is naturally fair and firm. With such a handler, the Chow Chow can develop well. Don't expect great obedience from them. They are born stubborn and with minds of their own. The dogs can learn because they are certainly not stupid, but they must see the point of your command. Most Chow Chows like to dominate other dogs, but in contrast, they are quite good with children.

Here's are some things about poodles that could describe me:



They are pleasant, happy and sensitive. They need to be with people and dislike being alone. The Standard Poodle is good with other dogs. Some Standards are good guard dogs and some can be trained as hunters. Most poodles make good watch dogs, barking at the signs of strangers.

I hope you feel you know me a bit better now! I certainly feel more informed.

Oh - I'm thinking about changing my blogspot from Blogger to Vox. Not sure about it but it seems like a better site particularly because I could post videos of myself! Blogger doesnt have video capability which in my opinion is pretty lame. Let me know what you think about this idea! I value my reader's opinions.

XOXO
4 year old Madeline

3 Comments:

Blogger charming gardener said...

Happy Birthday Miss Maddy!
How lovely to know Who You Are! One's roots are important for not only you but the humans so they can understand you better. How do you feel about your new found Poodle-ness? And would you like Tom and Miri to start to style your hair in shapes?
xx your pal in Scotland

1:06 PM

 
Blogger kq said...

dear ms. four year old madeline....

i recently swabbed myself and learned that i am part poodle too. i love poodles, and i can so see your poodle personality. and the chow ancestry too.

and a little known fact about chow chows is that they love to cha cha cha. don't you remember how excellent you were that night when we went dancing?

vox is okay by me. i would like to see some videos. i wonder what you were doing at home while tom and miri made that beautiful one of her in dupont over the weekend. were you working on your pedicure?

happy happy madeline. thanks for coming to tom and miri's life.

7:46 AM

 
Blogger CoilsRus said...

Happy Birthday Madeline! And I'm so excited to learn that Miri sent in a swab! I've been wanting to try that with our girls, Mena & Willa...Mena is part Lab too (we think), we think, so it would be an interesting experiment to see if they can pick up that DNA!

7:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home