My name is Madeline. Metropolitan labrador extraordinaire. I live in the hip Dupont/Logan neighborhood in Washington DC. I was adopted about a year ago and I've been loving life ever since. I hope you enjoy reading about life from my perspective.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Important Alert: Cocoa Mulch Deadly For Dogs and Cats

I believe that an internationally famous pup has responsibilities to her public. Therefore I must alert you to something I found out from one of my very reliable sources, Ms. Candice Stern (mother of Cassie, Roscoe and Chewy).

Cocoa Mulch, manufactured by Hershey's, is a new product being used in residential (and possibly commercial) gardens. It contains a lethal ingredient to dogs and cats called Theobromine. Apprently it smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. I'm salivating just thinking about it! I could definitely see myself eating this delicious smelling toxic treat!

Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks! Apparently the mulch has NO warnings printed on the label but upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs. Hershey's says "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Yeah right! I'm sure I would chow down on that stuff. And when you think about it, how many people have you heard tell a story about their dog eating a plate of brownies and being rushed to the vet! If Miri and Tom left any chocolate around our place you know I'd devour it! I'm beautiful but not all that bright...

See these links for more information:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_publicationscocoa

Please email the manufacturer at michellemessick@hersheys.com and request that accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home